Andrea Durrant is an experienced senior executive, company director and management consultant who thinks innovatively to drive transformation. Her career demonstrates an unusual combination of leadership, strategic thinking, and execution ability. Her track record is of leading business growth and improvement, reinvigoration and recovery, particularly where uncompromising deliverables and complex stakeholder relations are concerned.
Her career in executive leadership began at the age of 25 when promoted to General Manager of SMI International. Achievements include leading three companies to a successful turnaround, SMI being the first. As NZ Managing Director of Nokia Mobile Phones (and first ever female country leader) she grew the business over 3 years from seventh in the market to first while delivering strong margins, with growth in excess of US$100million.
A move into management consulting was taken to give flexibility for family and health reasons. During this period Andrea has worked for boards and CEOs to drive strategic initiatives which are large-scale and mission-critical with a high degree of complexity and difficulty. She has solved intractable problems and delivered results in challenging timeframes, and led end-to-end transformational programs.
Andrea works with diverse organisations such as Ernst Young, Vodafone, EnergyAustralia, GlaxoSmithKline, Spotless Group, Fletchers Group, Air New Zealand, Transfield, 3M, Health Alliance, Department of Defence, Auckland City, and NAB. She helps clients such as NZ Steel (Bluescope) grow through a more innovative way of going to market, deliver high performance and improved customer experience.
An engaging and experienced communicator, Andrea regularly presents in Australasia and the United States at forums and conferences such as Boeing, Coles, and the Law Institute of Victoria. She has a professional interest in diversity and the changing workforce, has undertaken research on and regularly speaks to this topic and others.
Andrea is a customer-focused leader who engages her staff, takes action and gets results. Her executive and director experience covers the public and private sectors, and she works collaboratively and creates partnerships that work across sectors. She is known for her commercial acumen and ability to influence and engage.
Current Directorships And Executive Roles
2009 – Present Director, Columbard Management Consulting
2011 – Present Director, PNORS Technology Group
2012 – Present Director, WITI (Women in Technology International)
Board, Advisory and Mentoring Experience
• Mentor Melbourne Rebels (professional rugby franchise) 2011-Current
• Member of Australian Institute of Company Directors Current
• Facilitator and Chair of CEO Forum (2009 – 2012)
• Member Advisory Board for Auckland University of Technology, NZ (2003-2008)
• Regional Judge for Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Entrepreneurship) NZ (2007 – 2008)
• Coach for Executive Management Team at Unitec University, NZ (2002 – 2007)
• Regional President for Plunket NZ (support services for under-fives) (2000 – 2004)
• Group Business Transformation Manager, Spotless Group, Australia (2012)
• Partner and Director, Traffic Group, Management Consulting, NZ (1998-2008)
• Managing Director, Nokia Mobile Phones, NZ (1994 – 1998)
• National Client Director, Telecom, NZ (1991-1994)